U.S. plumbing leader showcases new solutions and community project
at 2016 Greenbuild Conference and Expo in Los Angeles
KOHLER, Wis. – Sep. 27, 2016 – As the state of California continues to deal with water shortages, restrictions, and a new regulation for home sales, global plumbing brand Kohler is sharing the latest sustainable products and stewardship projects at theGreenbuild International Conference and Expo, held Oct. 5-7 at
the Los Angeles Convention Center.
As platinum sponsor of the conference, the company will highlight innovations from the KOHLER, STERLING and KOHLER Power brands, including a California Solutions Residential Suite, which showcases KOHLER products that meet or exceed California water efficiency requirements. One new requirement that takes effect in 2017 requires plumbing fixtures to be updated to water-saving models when homes are sold.
In addition to new water-saving products, Kohler is also encouraging attendees and the public to curb personal water use by pledging to #CommittoSix to reduce their shower time to six minutes. The average American adult spends 8 minutes in the shower, using about 18 gallons of water each time they lather up.* For every pledge made on kohler.com/commit, Kohler will donate $1 to The Nature Conservancy.
At the conference, Kohler will also share details around its partnership with Lava Mae to expand its mobile shower program to the Los Angeles homeless population. Commercial trailers are being retrofitted with KOHLER WaterSense®-labeled showers, sinks and toilets. Launched first in San Francisco, Lava Mae delivers showers and rekindles dignity to those experiencing homelessness through its mobile hygiene services.
Additional educational activities and information the company will highlight at the conference and in the Kohler booth (#1401) include:
· Kohler’s newest water-conserving toilet, the Highline 1.0 gallon per flush (gpf) toilet, which optimizes water flow and timing to maximize performance while reducing water use by 35 percent compared to a 1.6 gpf toilet.
· Four 1.0 gpf commercial toilets, a solar-powered portable generator, and two models of the Exhale B90 showerhead.
· Demos and tips for homeowners and industry professionals from Ed Del Grande, Master Plumber and LEED Green Associate.
· Complimentary LEED consultations to attendees wishing to understand indoor water prerequisites and credit calculations in project designs.
· Highlights from Kohler’s collaboration with Whirlpool Corporation to research home water use at the ReNEWW House. The project has yielded a year of data on residents’ water use patterns and the effectiveness of grey water collection, which will provide insight into new water conservation solutions.
· Working models of Kohler’s ceramic filtration system, KOHLER Clarity, and the Closed-Loop Advanced Sanitation System (CLASS). Clarity and CLASS showcase Kohler’s commitment to supporting UN Sustainable Development Goal #6 to ensure access to clean water and sanitation for people globally.
As a platinum sponsor of Greenbuild, Kohler has a strong presence outside its booth as well. On Tuesday, October 4, Staff Engineer Cambria McLeod will present Onsite Water Reuse, Water Infrastructure + Society during WaterBuild, The Water Summit. On Wednesday, October 5, Kohler Senior Staff Sustainability Engineer Joe Azzarello will join sustainability leaders at Intel, Transwestern and CH2M on Addressing the Drought: Commercial, Industrial, and Homes. On Thursday, October 6, Kohler Principal Environmental Engineer Jeff Zeman will participate in a panel on Handprinting: Making Buildings, Products & Lives NetPositive. In addition, a KOHLER showering system, bathroom fixtures, kitchen sink and touchless faucet will be showcased in the Greenbuild KB Home ProjeKt™ demonstration home.
For more information on Kohler Co.’s sustainability efforts, visit kohler.com/sustainability.
About Kohler Co.
Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wisconsin, Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies comprised of more than 30,000 associates. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products; engines and power systems; premier furniture, cabinetry and tile; and owner/operator of two of the world’s finest five-star hospitality and golf resort destinations in Kohler, and St Andrews, Scotland. Kohler Co. has a long history of supporting water efficiency and sustainability and is a leading producer of water-saving plumbing products, which has earned the company eight consecutive awards from the EPA WaterSense® program. For more details, visit kohler.com for information on water-saving plumbing products, believe.kohler.com for stories on Kohler's sustainability mission, and follow KOHLER on Twitter and Facebook.
*Average shower lasts 8.2 minutes; standard showerhead has a flow rate of 2.2 gallons per minute (gpm).